Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Damaged reefer car model complete

I have completed the damaged reefer car model.  It did not turn out as well as I had hoped as the card stock sides were difficult to torture properly.  Also a reefer is not the best type of car for doing this but I had car sides so - what the heck.  I will probably place it on a shelf as I have no convenient siding on the layout - we will see.


The end of the car is bashed in somewhat like the prior prototype photo I posted.  The side door on this side is also popped open a little and the near ice hatch is popped up a little.


Perhaps you can see the slightly open door in this photo.  I searched for an actual photo of an open reefer door but could not find one.

I did some fairly heavy weathering with chalks to make the car look poorly kept.

Olde Frothingslosh Beer car

Since I am on the subject of reefers, here is a car built from an old plastic kit by my father for his Troll & Elfin model railroad.  It is an Olde Frothingslosh beer reefer.


"Olde Frothingslosh - the beer that is so light the foam is on the bottom" originated on Pittsburgh radio many years ago as a joke ad.  The name captured the imagination of many people so the Pittsburgh Brewing Company actually marketed a beer with that name as a specialty item.  I do not know if the beer is still available.  The NMRA also published card sides for this car in the Bulletin many years ago.  I have a set of those but am not sure I will ever build them.





No comments: