Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Inspiration brick company example

Below is a turn of the century (the previous one) brick company that existed in Pennsylvania.  It was the Fallston Fire Clay company and apparently was in business between 1891 and 1922.  As you can see it is against a low mountain with inclines to the clay pits on the mountain.  The ovens to the right are the early traditional round kilns. This arrangement is similar to what I am building except my pit is on a low hill against a small mountain and I use an arial tram instead of an incline, partly because the pit is on the other side of mainline track and because for me an incline would be overkill.

Fallston Fire Brick Company

In the event it is meaningful to you, the lower clay pit is "Lower Kittanning clay" and the upper is "Freeport clay", which are geological designations much the same as used to designate coal deposits.

No comments: