Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Monday, November 14, 2011

Tannery hide shed

Here is the hide shed that receives the hides via rail car.  The hides are sitting on pallets and are then transported into the wash building on a push cart.


It is somewhat hard to see inside the shed but it contains a workbench on the far wall next to the building, a box, an empty pallet leaning against the back wall, a hide hanging on a hook which the worker on the right is reaching for, and near the right front two barrels with hide scraps.

The shed is made of strip wood with a rusty corrugated metal roof.   The finish on the shed is only alcohol/india ink stain with a dusting of gray chalk on the decking to give a dirty effect.  There are a few signs on the side and the back.  I told my wife I made the piles of hides by skinning a mouse, but she was not buying that.  In fact they were made from a Kleenex that I spray painted on both sides, then tore it into small pieces which I glued into small stacks.  I also used the painted Kleenex to make "leather" aprons for each of the workers.

1 comment:

Hydrachuck said...

You have a very enjoyable blog!