Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

North Conway Scenic Railroad

I have been away for a week in the Maine area for a family event.  While there I took time to do some railroad visits.  One visit was to the North Conway Scenic Railroad in New Hampshire.  I have been there in the past.  One thing that has not changed is the insane traffic jam on the main street mid day.  My wife and I rode the lunch train in the dining car - very nice.  It was only an hour round trip at a leisurely pace.  One key feature of this railroad is the unique station featuring a Russian architecture.  Inside the station is the ticket office and a gift shop.


Many years ago I decided to build a model of this station but after it was half built I lost interest as I had no place for it on my layout.  I kept it around for years in case I changed my mind but earlier this year I tore it apart and saved some pieces for possible later use.


Above is the partially finished model.  It had interior detailing.

Below is the turntable and roundhouse.  Notice the grass in the pit.


Below is a trackside view of the station with the train pulling in.  The guys at the lower left were belatedly starting to crank the crossing arm down across the road.


The railroad has several diesel engines and at least one non-funtional steam engine.  They also have a variety of passenger cars the use for the trips, and they also have a variety of freight cars and cabooses in various states of repair.  

No comments: