Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Monday, February 25, 2013

Plumbing supply company model

I have just finished my latest model - a plumbing supply company inspired by a well known photo of such a business in Brockton, Mass circa 1940 (close to my era of 1939).  My model does not resemble that company other than in spirit.  When I set the model in place on the layout I will surround it with plumbing items on the outside as in the Brockton photo.  This will give me the chance to use a bunch of  bathroom and kitchen detail parts I have acquired over the years.  While I have used some of these detail parts in the past for interior details, I have decided it is a waste since they are then difficult if not impossible to see.


  Above is the initial start to the model based a Design Preservations Models (DPM) freight house kit that I have had for years.  I cut out a section of two opposing walls to reduce the footprint and eliminate a second freight door.  I also turned one of the windows into a door as you can see above and squared the vent at the top of the roof peak.


As you can see, I added a clapboard wood second story to change the appearance of the freight station into something better resembling a business.  I have named this business "Barrett Plumbing Supply, New and Used" after the plumber we have been using.  Like the Brockton business I covered the outside with signs and posters.



I made the door on this side open a little and added a small wood porch.


The above view shows the rear of the structure (not viewable from the layout aisle) which is trackside.


This view shows the upper access door and the hoist for raising and lowering products. I put a burglar bar set on the window below the hoist to protect the window from items being hoisted or lowered.

Next I will be setting the structure in place on the layout and adding the exterior detail parts.  I will provide another photo or two once that is done.

2 comments:

Galen Gallimore said...

What a beautiful kitbash! You've managed to hide the origins of the brick building just enough to disguise it, without adding a whole lot. Terrific work.

Galen

Steve said...

Sir, all of your work is a source inspiration. I can see very clearly that I have a looooong way to go.

Could you tell me how you created the hoist? I have struggled to produce a detailed version such as yours. Thank you