Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Scratchbuilt vintage truck

This truck model is mostly scratch built.  The only commercial parts are the wheels and part of the cab, the hood and the grill.  For the cab hood and grill I used left-over parts from a military truck model - I removed the roof and the back of the cab, then  I built a new roof and back from styrene.  I added cab steps from styrene and fenders from card stock.  The headlights were made from the rounded ends of plastic sprue and the front bumper from a thin strip of aluminum sheet.  The wheels are Sheepscot cast metal parts.


The truck body was made with a frame of wood (top, ends and base) and the sides are card stock with a cover of computer paper on which I printed the color and lettering using the Apple presentation software.  The sides were sprayed with a clear coat to protect the finish.  I added a scribed wood layer on the body front and a metal freight car door for the rear.


There is an underbody frame made from styrene strips and a a vestige of an engine under the cab.  A styrene rod connects the engine to the rear axle which has a sort of universal joint made from the split end of a plastic mechanical pencil part, along with some card stock finish.  I finished up with some chalk weathering.



This was an enjoyable project despite several in-process revisions I had to make.  A normal result of the fact I never draw plans.


No comments: