Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Salisbury Maryland 1922 strawberry crop RR transportation

In the 1920's Salisbury Maryland was a major strawberry shipping point.  The railroad providing service was the Pennsylvania railroad.  Between 800 and 1000 cars were forwarded from the Maryland,  Delaware and Virginia peninsula during a six week period in May and June.  The refrigerator cars used were primarily the R-7 type from the PRR.  The cars were initially iced in Salisbury after the ice bunkers were thoroughly cleaned.  The icing platform in salisbury was up to date in every way.



A conference was held (below) in March 1922 to plan for handling the strawberry traffic.



Above - opening a hatch to determine the amount of ice needed.


Above shows workers carrying extra reefer plugs for cars on which they were missing.

UPDATE:  In answer to the comment/question the photos came from a 1922 copy of the Express Messenger.  If you need more information contact me directly using my gmail.









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stan -- Where are these pictures from? Thanks.

PRR2277 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PRR2277 said...

Stan -

Wow! Just, wow! I love when you post stuff that happened at one time on the PRR on the Delmarva. I sent you a private e-mail about what I'm going to do with your blog article. Thanks, as always, to post this stuff!

Ren B said...

Hey Stan,
just found your blog! I'm starting to learn about miniature modelling so this blog is like a gold mine for me! Thanks for sharing so much info :)

(currently reading on your "new" structure from Dec 2012!)