Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Saturday, December 14, 2019

Outhouse models

Previously I posted about the Order of the Biffy, a humorous model railroad group that had fun modeling outhouses and doing articles for the NMRA Bulletin about them. My father was a member of this group.  Below is a photo of an outhouse (or biffy) on a flat car in front of my father's Troll station.  The U & I was the Unlikely & Improbable MRR of Phead Henderson of Phoenix AZ.


One year there was a convention in Phoenix and some of the group gathered around a mocked up outhouse in Phread's back yard.


Phread is on the right and my father is standing next to him.


Above is another biffy on a flat car.


Above is my collection of outhouse models (other than those on my layout).  About half of them are cast metal.  The one on the right is a plaster casting.  The variety of designs for actual outhouses was apparently endless.  They were simple in design - a small structure with a seat inside with a hole in the seat and a hole in the ground under the structure.  People dumped all kinds of things in those holes.  Apparently the old Sears catalog (which was distributed free) was often used as a wipe medium.

I am making good progress on my structure model.




1 comment:

J D Lowe said...

Hilarious ! Thanks for sharing those great photos!