Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tannery acid tank

This acid tank model was patterned after one I found on the Internet that was located at the Wilcox tannery.  It can be seen at http://www.jonestownship.com/history/Collapse_of_Acid_Tank.tif

My HO model was formed from two small hydrocal tanks joined end to end.  The supports were formed from wood.  I added a dome on top using a hollow pressed metal piece of unknown origin which was in my scrap box.  Since it has an open top I made a lid propped open for visual interest.  There is an interesting wood platform on the prototype which I copied.  I have seen similar platforms on other tanks so it is not totally unique.  I added a figure, a small jug, and a sack to the platform, and a dirty rag on the railing.  There is a wood ladder for access to the platform.



This completes the elements of my tannery.  Now I need to install them on the layout, adding piping and scenery.  Once that is complete I will post a few photos of the tannery complex on the layout.

I have decided on my next industry to model and am researching it and sketching a few ideas on what it should look like.  I will have something on this next week.

UPDATE:  In response to the question, to make and finish the tank supports I first coated them with sanding sealer then sanded them smooth.  Then I sprayed them with gray primer and let them dry.  After they were dry I painted them with sandstone colored acrylic craft paint - not totally opaque.  Next I carved a few cracks.  Then I gave them a wash of india ink and alcohol to age the supports and make the cracks stand out.  Last I put on some very wet red-ish brown craft paint streaks.  Hope that helps.

1 comment:

Jim Musser said...

Stan,

I like the acid tank model very much. What paint and weathering techniques did you use on the concrete footings? Very realistic.