Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Friday, March 30, 2012

Dyeworks dye tanks

This platform with the tanks will sit to the left of the main dyeworks building previously shown and will be connected to the pipes on the left of that building.  The front of the concrete platform is trackside for loading the barrels of dye into railcars.  This dyeworks produces dyes for other industries and does not do any dye of materials on site.




The dye supply pipe connects to the tank selector console on the right side of the platform where the tank to receive the dye is selected by opening the appropriate valve, and the dye under pressure is fed into the top of the tank.  There is a valve at the front base of each tank with a hose that runs though the U shaped rack to a nozzle, which is in turn used to fill the barrels.  This is a tedious process but in my era of 1939 is what they had been using for many years.  The figure by the barrels is holding the nozzle from the center tank.  The figure back by the tanks is the platform boss who throws the lever on the tank valve to allow the dye to flow to he nozzle.  The figure holding the nozzle is a modified plastic fireman to which I added an old hat

The tanks are hydrocal castings and the barrels are plastic painted for a custom appearance.  The selector console is a hodgepodge of parts from my parts box, mostly styrene.  There is a platform behind the tanks with a ladder,  to get to the top of the tanks.

The most difficult part of this was coming up with a design that made any sense, as nowhere in my books could I find an example of what I wanted.  I designed it as an open air facility to show the pipes and devices for interest.  I considered building a roof structure but decided it would just make things hard to see.