Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Railroad tool shed model

I have a 3 inch strip of layout between my lower yard and the edge of the layout that, while it has scenery, is essentially boring. So I decided to build a small shed for servicing rail cars for repair.


This structure was made using scraps of scribed siding and strip wood.  The door is made from strips of wood.  The shelf on the dock is made from cardstock and filled with scraps and a few freight car parts.  The roofing is strips of paper painted black which I streaked with gray chalk after installation.


I added a few signs to provide visual interest.  One says no trespassing and the other is a PowerLube sign.


The above photo shows the shed installed on the layout.  I added a bunch of junk detail around it and placed an old pickup truck in the driveway (the road leads off of the layout).  On the left side of the shed in the photo is a coal storage pile.  I added footers to the building pilings during installation since the ground slopes away from the tracks.  

This was a very simple structure to build and provides some interest to what was otherwise a boring strip of scenery at the edge of the layout.  

No comments: