Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Small Zinc Mine about 1900

Below is a 1900 photo of a small zinc mine in the Joplin Missouri area.  There were lots of these small mines in that timeframe.


Modelers frequently model Western gold mines and Eastern coal mines, but there were (and are) many different types of mines in many areas of the country.

Zinc was in great demand in that time period for such uses as electrical components, building components such as roofs and cornices, galvanizing processes, tin and brass manufacturing and many other purposes.  Zinc miners referred to the various types of zinc deposits as "Jack".  There were many types of Jack including steel jack, ruby jack, resin jack, salmon jack, pebble jack, and others - named for the color and appearance of the zinc deposit.

In examining the photo, it appears the zinc product from this mine was shipped barrels, and I assume the pile of rubble at the left was the refuse separated from the zinc ore.  Perhaps the barrels were transported by the horses and wagon in the photo.

Firehouse Project

As for my modeling, I am currently building a new firehouse to replace the crappy cheap plastic kit I put in my city when I was working to get the city in place quickly.  The new firehouse is being built mostly from styrene and is going somewhat slowly.  I am using a photo I found on the Internet for inspiration.


No comments: