Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Rustic bridge to my log pond dump

I finally added some sides to the bare bridge base spanning the HO mainline and carrying the narrow gauge logging road to the dump site for the log pond.  Many years ago I acquired a partially started SS Ltd Dinky Creek Bridge kit from an estate.  The bridge per the kit was too long for the span I needed to  fill so I redesigned the bridge leaving off two vertical post sections while maintaining the general look of the bridge.  The kit was based on an actual bridge in the Sierra National Forest of California.


The kit consisted of strip wood and a variety of white metal nut & bolt castings.  I did not have room to place the cross beams under the bridge due to low clearance with the mainline below so they project out from the longitudinal bridge beams that have been in place for several years.  I drilled lots of holes to insert the bolt castings.  I am generally pleased with the result and I finally have a completed bridge.


The above view shows the log pond and sawmill in the background.  The sawmill is scratch built and has a Fantasonics company steam sawmill sound CD installed below the mill to provide mill sounds.  The CDs from Fantasonics are scratchbuilt sounds  (not recorded) and provide an hour of various non-repetitive sounds.  The pond was made using Envirotex 2-part epoxy with the logs and a log boat pre-glued to the pond base.  The color of the "water" was made by coloring the pond base before pouring the epoxy.  The sawmill complex and adjoining lumber drying and storage area are the largest industry on my layout.  The log storage area is a lift-out for access to that area.

No comments: