Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Wood products yard and equipment

In the 1800s and early 1900s trees were heavily harvested for wood to be used for a variety of products such as rosin, charcoal, turpentine, etc.  While this industry was mostly earlier than the era of my layout, these processes were still being used  to some extent in 1939.  Wood yards were extensive and required some form of transportation for the wood and wood products - frequently an in-plant railroad.  Below is  a photo of a typical wood yard with rail cars for moving the wood and products.


Below is a photo of a different style of wood buggies.


This would make a neat industry to model but I am running out of room for industries on my layout.

I had a layout tour for the NMRA MER convention yesterday.  The visitors apparently liked what they saw.  


No comments: