Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Steam pump company model start

I have started on my steam pump company model.  The start has been slow for several reasons.  This past winter has been awful but at least it left me lots of time inside to do model work.  Now that spring is here - sort of - I have a lot of work to do outside in the yard.  Also, since I am constructing the structure mainly from styrene parts, my design work has been more complex.  I looked at using some of the DPM modular parts but did not like the look.  I then considered using some hydrocal brick sections but felt that would be more complex.  I finally selected some sheets of styrene brick siding about 1/16th inch thick.  I have just enough to do the model.  I then constructed a card stock mock-up to get the right size.  My inspiration for this model was the following early 1900s photo.


The structure in the photo is of a much larger shop than what I am building but I like the looks, so I will try to emulate it in much smaller form.   My shop will not include an inside rail track as my version is too small for that to make sense. 

I have cut out the main walls and am in the process of cutting the window and door openings.  As you can see by the unfinished wall I first draw the outline of the opening then drill lots of holes around the inside of the opening finally using the drill bit like a router to cut the piece free.  I then use an Exacto knife to cut to the edge of the opening, then use a fingernail file to finish it up.  


The foreground section is in progress.  The next one back has completed window openings and two brick columns from the DPM parts.  The back piece is the lower part of one end.  A window casting by Tichy is leaning against the wall.  One of the walls will be removable to allow viewing of the detailed interior.  

I am also working on assembling some SS Ltd machine tools for inside the structure.  

This model will take some time, but the process is the enjoyment - most of the time.  




No comments: