Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Friday, March 28, 2014

Dynamite shed model

Here is the dynamite shed associated with the Mining Supply Company.  It is a simple model composed of hydrocal stone walls, a steel sliding door by SS Ltd, and a wood roof.  These masonry sheds were designed to protect surrounding facilities and personnel from accidental explosions, with the walls constraining the explosion and the wood roof providing a relatively safe avenue for the blast.


The following photos show the proper means of shipping dynamite or other dangerous materials by rail.  These photos are from 1928 and thus show wood freight cars.


This photo illustrates a proper means of securing a small LCL dynamite shipment.  I find it fascinating that there is a chair at the end of the car (hope it is secured so it does not fly around in the event of a collision).


This photo illustrates how to secure a larger dynamite LCL load.


This photo illustrates a recommended means of securing barrels or cylinders.


And last but not least, this photo shows a properly loaded flatcar with a load of carboys (jugs) of acid.       No matter how well this load was secured, I believe it would be very dangerous in a collision.

My next project.

I am evaluating doing a larger industry than what I have been doing recently.  I am in the design phase for a steam pump shop.  It will give me the opportunity to use some of the many SS Ltd machinery kits I have accumulated over the years.  I am working on some of that machinery now.  My thought is to fully detail and light the interior of this shop, perhaps with a removable wall or two.

TBD


No comments: