Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

The varnish factory - the tanks

Varnish manufacturing has been around for a long time and the ingredients have varied over time and with different manufacturers, but the essential ingredients have mostly been a resin, an oil such as linseed oil and a thinner such as turpentine.  Those are the ingredients for my factory.  I have completed the linseed oil tanks.  My factory is inspired by a photo I found on the Internet (a source of a lot of what I build) but my interpretation with my model will be only similar.  This is in part because the photo is not very clear and also because I always like to make my own interpretation.


The structure is a wood covering for the tanks which are plastic tanks from a Walthers kit parts package.  The roof is covered with tar paper (painted paper strips).  Since the tanks are not actually attached to the wood structure I glued them to a thin card stock ground base which I painted and added real dirt and some weeds.  After I complete the other structures in the factory I will add some pipes connecting the tanks to the structure containing the melting room.  This is a simple structure but the design part always takes more time than the actual construction.

The next structure I will build will be the manufacturing facility which will contain the melting room where the resin and the linseed oil are heated and combined before thinning with the turpentine.  I may try to include some interior details but this will depend on the design.  The other structures in this complex will be a warehouse and a shed for products awaiting shipment as well as raw materials being received.


No comments: