Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Warehouse model start

This model is taking a lot of time, both due to the design process and the tedious build process.  Below is the preliminary sketch and the card stock mock-up.  This model replicates an old warehouse originally served by horse and wagon.   This will not be rail-served.


I have made some changes from these early preliminary design products.   This model is primarily being built using card stock products with wood bracing.

Below is the initial frame.


And the next photo shows the model as it is tonight.  I decided to do this post since this model is progressing so slowly.  The siding is clapboard made board by board using quality 65lb weight card stock paper bought at a craft store.  I chose brown paper so there will be no white edges when cut.  I sprayed one side of the paper with gray paint, then cut the paper into board width strips.  I then painted over the gray with white acrylic paint leaving gaps to simulate peeling paint and weathered boards.  I still need to engrave some texture into the boards to simulate wood grain and then more weathering.  Preparing all of these individual boards has been very time consuming.


As you can see there will be a loading platform on the lower right.  On the upper mid-left is an extension for a set of stairs between the second and third floor.  At the top of the extreme left will be a loading door with a hoist.  On the right second floor is an open walkway (I have not yet installed the back of that walkway).

The is of course another relief structure that will be installed against the wall to the right of my tree.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stan - Been following your blog for some time. I have a question about the construction of the warehouse. The effect of the siding with overlapping paper strips is very nice, but how did you keep the paper from warping once you applied paint?
Thanks. Mark

Stan Knotts said...

Mark, glad you like the blog. The answer is that it is not paper but quality cardstock bought at the craft store - sort of a heavy paper. I spayed one side with rattle can gray spray, then applied a mottled light coat of craft acrylic white. After applying to the building i brushed the siding with my india ink and alcohol mixture. Stan

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the quick response. I'm guessing the sprayed gray paint basically seals the stock to prevent the water-based acrylic from warping the paper. At any rate, it looks very nice and is very effective. Great job!