Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Soap factory completed on layout

The soap factory is now completed and installed on the layout. The scenery is mostly complete (is anything ever totally complete?).  I think I will add some more figures to the scene.  I am fairly pleased with how it turned out.


I added a scrap lumber pile under the soap sign and some scenery.


There are several pieces of soap making machinery on and near the platform and behind the coal bucket hoist - all scratch built from photos in an old soap making book.


Above is a soap frame.  The liquid soap is poured into the frame and allowed to cool and solidify.  It is then fed to the soap slobber - chipper.  There were a lot of chemicals used in soap making such as acids (steric, oleic, linoliec, etc) sodium,  potassium, alkaline solutions,  and oils and fats.  Soap factories were not all that nice to work in but in the early 1900s that is the kind of work often done.


Above is my model of the soap frame.  It is about 5 1/2 scale feet long and made mostly of wood with   wheels made from a slice of plastic sprue.  It is placed near the loading platform on the layout.

I am now starting planning on my new project.  More on that later.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's a great industry. my father worked for the Original Bradford Soap Company around 1970. he was a salesman and his car always smell of soap samples. i grew up mimicking my cousin and always having a Dopp kit with shaving gear on the shelf in the bathroom closet.

all the details bring this complex to life. eagerly awaiting the next project!