Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Small wood building progress

This building is almost complete except for some outside details.  I have decided this will be a small weekly newspaper building.  The building has a shingled roof and an oil tank of the left side - I made that tank from a wood dowel which I sanded off the sides and added legs and a tank cap.


I added a card stock base to allow for scenicing and details.


There is a shed in the back for storage of paper stock and other things.  This newspaper uses a metal type press as was the case with most newspapers of the time.  Many years ago I had a newspaper client in Washington DC which used presses like that,  They went out of business while they were a customer of mine (not my fault).  Some time ago I bought a tray of metal type at a yard sale kind of a thing.  I use the metal type pieces for glueing weights and braces.


Above is a small sample of the type slugs.  They are about 3/4 " square on the sides with the type face being of various widths based on the letter or character they display.  On the right side above you can see I glued together a set of letters to make my name.  Behind the name is a metal print logo for my father's model railroad.  I have a LOT of the metal type.

I still have to add a bunch of details and scenery around the building.

At the same time I am working on the truck I am making from a fire engine.  It will have a flatbed behind it and will be hauling a steam shovel.   Always keeping busy.



No comments: