Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Coal dock crane

My brick ovens are heated with coal so I have built a coal dock to be supplied from the railroad mainline.  The coal is loaded from gondolas into large buckets which are hoisted by the crane onto the platform, and then the bucket is moved to a small flat car on the brickworks narrow gauge.  The car is then moved to the ovens where the coal is shoveled onto the ground, and then into the ovens for baking the bricks.  Very labor intensive work.


The crane is a Tichy kit.  The buckets are cast metal - I believe by Durango press but that may be wrong as they have been in my scrap box for a long time.  The platform is made from strip wood with a liberal dusting of black chalk dust.

Lots of fun doing this stuff.


No comments: