Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Friday, September 23, 2011

McGiffert almost complete

My RGM McGiffert kit is almost complete.  I still need to add the wheel lifting cables and the roof.  The kit has been interesting to build and will provide a key element to my logging area.  I elected to add a wood fuel box next to the boiler.  The kit does not supply any specific fuel solution but notes it could be wood, coal or oil.  Wood seems to me to be an obvious selection.  I also added a figure near the boiler on the other side.  Figures bring some life to the models.  Another addition is a ladder from the deck to the ground - hard to see in this view as it is on the other side - I think this is necessary because the deck is about 8 feet above the ground.  One thing I never noticed until I started build this is the boom does not swing sideways - just up and down, thus I guess the log tongs are just pulled to a nearby log, attached, to allow the loader to drag it up as it is hoisted.  The logs would be moved alongside the loader by dozer or animal power.


 I added a few details on the deck such as an open top barrel loaded with junk and an open box full of supplies.  I also placed a few tools on the deck placed by the operator after doing some minor adjustments.

No comments: