Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Friday, September 16, 2011

McGiffert progress

My model is moving slowly forward.  The basic frame and mechanism is complete as is the boom and the rear water tank.  The floor is individual 2 x 12 planks stained with an india ink and alcohol solution (I use only 91% alcohol to minimize the water content and thus the potential for warping) then brushed with powdered chalks.  For the boom truss rod cables I substituted a thiner steel wire in one piece for the supplied brass wire and added cast brass turnbuckles instead of the strange wire loops described in the kit.  For the rear water tank I substituted a cast resin round riveted tank for the wood dowel supplied with the kit.



I have not yet added the log clamp and cable just behind the collar that holds the boom truss rods.  Next is the hoisting machinery for the log hoist, and then the superstructure.  I will likely deviate from the kit instructions on that as McGifferts were frequently modified by the logging companies to suit their needs.

No comments: