Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Dilapidated old barn

This dilapidated old barn will be part of a very small farm on a hillside near the railroad tracks.  When the railroad came though they took most of the farmers property so everything is run down.

The foundation is cast plaster, but the rest of the structure is wood stained with my india ink and alcohol mixture.  I first built the inside framing and assembled that on top of the foundation.  Then I applied 1x10 boards with lots of cracks and distressing on the bottom.  I left off a few boards here and there as well as parts of boards.  The roof is framed and again covered with 1x10 stained boards with a few gaps to represent broken roof boards.  I applied Campbell shingles over the roof boards leaving some missing around the roof gaps.  I stained the shingles again with the "inkohol"then dry-brushed them with gray acrylic craft paint, and finished with gray chalk dust.



Once the barn is installed on my layout I will add weeds and debris around the base.

Just having fun :-)

2 comments:

Peter S. said...

Stan,

The model looks great--thought I would just take the opportunity to say I am enjoying the blog.

P

Jim Musser said...

Very nice work. I'd like to hear more about how you did the plaster base. Jim Musser