Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Barrel company start

I have decided my next structure will be a wood barrel company.  Actually as I was mulling over several possible industries, the barrel factory was suggested by my wife.  The location on my layout where it will go will dictate the size.  The site is an odd shape on the inside corner near my grist mill and lumber company.  I had several temporary buildings sitting there.  The space is somewhat less than I had for my tannery.  It is at the end of the lumber company siding.

Wooden barrels were still in frequent use in 1939 (my era) and barrel making is interesting.  There are two general categories of barrels referred to as "slack" or "tight".  Slack style barrels are used for dry materials whereas tight barrels are used primarily for liquid.  The names are descriptive of how loosely of tight the barrel staves fit together.  The other parts of the barrel are the headings and the hoops (either wood or metal).


Above is a photo of wood barrels and barrel parts.  Slack cooperage also includes other containers such stubs, buckets, pails, kegs, churns and firkins.  There are two general grades of slack cooperage barrels; one grade used for such items as flour, sugar, chemicals, etc., and the other grade used for such items as   packing house products, fruits, vegetables, lime, cement, rosin, hardware etc.  

Tight cooperage barrels are usually made from white oak or a similarly hard wood due to it's hardness, workability, and excellent seasoning qualities, is less likely to discolor or lend a disagreeable odor to the  contents.

The staves are made from short logs about 3 feet long called bolts.  The bolts are usually obtained green to avoid checking and splitting of bolts left out in the weather too long.

I am working on the floor and room design of the factory using rough sketches and room templates to ensure that it all fits and contains the necessary functions for making barrels.

No comments: