Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

My modeling workbench

Below is a photo of my modeling workbench in post project clean condition.  As I was cleaning after completing the welding shop posted yesterday I thought this might be of some interest or at least give a perspective on where I create these projects.  The desk is a very old wood desk with a few drawers and several cutting mats on top along with a ceramic heat proof kitchen pot protector on the right side.  The reason for the ceramic top section is for soldering or anything that might damage or warp the mats (done that before).  As you can see I have most of the ceramic top covered with stuff much of which is there most of the time.  The paint bottles are a selection of my acrylic craft paint bottles of which I have many more elsewhere.  There are several types of white glue and my India-ink/alcohol mix. The metal blocks are mostly used for glueing weights as are the many lead type printer slugs I acquired.  The white sheet of paper taped to the rightmost mat is for drawing cutting guides, making notes about what I am modeling, wiping paint brushes, or whatever I need it for - I just removed the one used for the welding shop and it was covered with pencil and paint marks.  I find that a cheap, easy and handy part of my work surface.  The left mat has just been installed replacing a grey mat by X-acto which I did not like since the blue lines on it were only surface paint or ink and wiped off when I spilled brush cleaner or any such liquid - much prefer the green mats with the lines embedded in the mat as I use the lines to square up my work.  On the workbench I have a bottle of water for cleaning water based paint from brushes, a bottle of lacquer thinner for cleaning solvent based paint from brushes and a mess of other things I find useful.


You may be able to see the small 1 1/4 inch by 2 inch glass plates I use for painting figures or small parts which I tack glue to the glass.  I have lots of paint brushes of many sizes and shapes.  There is lots more stuff there but you get the idea.

No comments: