Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Caterpillar dozers and logging tractors

I have several kits of Caterpillar cast metal dozers by Cannon Scale Models, and decided to build one according to the directions. I have to say building cast metal kits is not one of my favorite projects.  The cast metal parts are usually quite good, but the instructions in my experience are usually quite poor.  The recommended means of assembling these is to use some form of cyanoacrylate glue (CA).  While it holds well for joints that have little flex, it is a pain for small surface areas and can be tricky to get the parts in the correct orientation during assembly.  That is my rant of the day.  Below is the model that I built and will be installing on my layout.


As usual I added some weathering.  While I have a dozer blade I have not attached it as I am not yet sure how I will employ the dozer.

Now I have two other sets of parts and am pondering how I will use them but it will definitely not be as intended.  Over the years there have been an incredible variety of crawler tread style machines built.  I have numerous books and photos with examples.

Below is a 1939 version of a Caterpiller dozer with a cab and some kind of rack on the front.  The dozer is hauling several Athey trailer wagons carrying supplies to a mining camp far from roads or railroads.



A variety of crawler tread machines were used in logging operations in the early 1900s.  An interesting example is shown in the photos below.



These are just a few of the possibilities for my other kits.

No comments: