Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Monday, March 10, 2014

Woolery Giant Octopus weed burner

This Woolery Machine Company Giant Octopus weed burner was a hot deal in the late 1930's to early 1940s (pun intended).  I was not able to find much information on the Internet about either this machine or even the company, which seems to be out of business.


The speed while burning was apparently 8 mph or less.  It had two 90 hp, 6-cylinder Ford engines with a 100 gal gas tank.  The fuel tank for burning was 1400 gallons.  Each burner was individually controlled by a valve lever.  The driver apparently sat on a seat above the fuel tank in what looks kind of like a wagon bed with a roof.  This would make an interesting model but I probably will not build one since it would not fit with the image of my model railroad.  The burner tubes are 10 ft., the power car is 16.5 ft., and the tank car is 13.7 ft.  All 4 wheels on the power car are drivers.

My next build project.

I am working on a structure with a dock, a crane and an attached covered structure.  I have tentatively  decided it will be a mining supply company but that could change.

No comments: