Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Hott Boiler house progress

I have made progress on the boiler house for the Hott Steam Pump company factory.  The exterior walls and interior are complete.  I have not yet added any doors and the roof is half built.  My intention is to have the roof removable so the interior can be seen.  I enjoy making interiors for structures but it requires that some part of the structure be removable else the interior is hard to see if not impossible.  This structure has a wood frame wall covered with corrugated metal sheets.  There is a wide door on the front and a small door at the rear plus a window on one end.


The interior contains the boiler and steam engine shown a week ago.  There is also a horizontal tank, a set of shelves made from card stock, a ladder and some pipes.  I added a figure that was a cheap plastic model carrying two suit cases - I removed the suitcases and repainted the guy.  Does not look too bad inside the structure.


Above is a view of the inside from above.

Now I need to complete the roof and add the doors.

Note: In response to a comment (question) -  the corrugated metal panels are from Campbell which I bought years ago.  I spray the panels with gray automobile primer, then when dry I paint the panels with various shades of cheap art store craft paints using lots of water.  The last step is to add some chalk colors. 

One thing that occupied my time over the last week or so was we were having our deck at the back of the house rebuilt to replace the 20+ year old boards on the old deck and I spent time keeping an eye on the work.  The new one looks pretty good and we really like the black metal posts as they provide a better view of the yard compared with the 2x2 wood posts under the railing on the old deck.


Just off the center of the deck you can barely see our fish pond with lots of water lilies.  A lot of lawn out there to mow but a nice view.


1 comment:

Galen Gallimore said...

Stan - how do you treat your corrugated metal panels? Are they Aluminum or some other metal? Do you have trouble getting the paint/weather/etc. to stick?

Thanks,

Galen