Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Steam pump boiler house machinery

I decided to develop the steam boiler and steam engine for the boiler house first in order to determine the necessary size of the structure.  I was going to scratch build these items but was able to find suitable items in my parts stash.  The boiler is a resin casting of unknown (to me) origin.  The steam engine is a cast metal kit I obtained from an estate.  The manufacturer (now out of business) was Paige Enterprises, a company reported to have sold copies of other manufacturers products such as SS Ltd.   One of the problems with their cast metal kits and parts was that the castings were poor, and this steam engine kit bears that out.


These will be connected by a pipe to provide steam from the boiler to the engine.  Below is an example of a vintage steam engine product that shows the the kit is actually somewhat accurate.


My next step is to form the boiler house floor and install the machinery.  After that I will build the structure around it.


No comments: