Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Troll & Elfin RR

This father's day I am posting some photos and information on my father's Troll & Elfin model railroad.  My father Dick Knotts, who passed away about 27 years ago, got me into model railroading when I was a pre-teen.  He felt I needed a hobby and he was also interested in model railroading.  He always enjoyed the light-hearted approach to model railroading.  He had many hobby friends around the country and around the world.  He was a frequent contributor to the NMRA Bulletin and was a friend of the then editor Whit Towers.  While I have many photos of his layout and his models, most are 35 mm slides and I have no convenient way to convert them, so the sample photos included here include several B&W photos.


The above photo shows one of his scratch built structures, most of which were named for his friends.



This photo shows an over-all view of one end of his layout along with his control panel.


This photo shows a hotel model he named for his late friend Bill Gay.


This photo shows his Troll station modeled after a D&RGW station.  It also shows one of his favorite type of loco - a Camelback.


This photo shows his turntable with a camelback loco on the table,  Due to the lack of HO camelback loco products, my dad frequently kit bashed his camelback locos using remotored Mantua locos. 

While I still have many of his models, I have also sold many of them as there were way too many to keep and display.  He was a retired Navy veteran who served in World War II and now rests in Arlington cemetery.  

No comments: