Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Ice handling gig

For one model of ice handling machinery I have built a model of an ice handling gig (what!!).  Yes, that is what they were called, and they came in single (as modeled) or multiple tilting bottoms.  They were used to hold and dispense blocks of ice.  They often operated in ice elevators.


Above is an example of an ice handling gig, and below is my model.


The model was made using paper and light card stock.  This will be placed on one of the platforms. The model is 7 HO scale feet high with a 2' x 4' base.

I have learned a lot of industrial history in the process of my modeling, and the time spent operating the Railroad Industry SIG for 20 years.  I also acquired a large quantity of old industrial books for information.



No comments: