Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Limestone mining 1939

This photo shows the locomotive and cars of the Greer Limestone Company at their mine in 1939.  That is the year I model but I have no room on my layout for a limestone mine.  The loco appears to me to be perhaps a fireless cooker as I see no tender or coal compartment at the back of the loco.  I thought most limestone mining was done from an open pit quarry but this one has a mine opening in the hillside.


 This company was (and is) located in West Virginia.  Those cars look like they have seen some rough usage.  Even when I see a freight train go buy these days, the gons always appear to be the most beat-up.

A modeling tip:

A friend of mine thought this might be of interest.  I use mostly white glue in my modeling and I used to get frustrated that after some usage, the tip of the glue bottle would get clogged up and need to be cleaned.  Pouring the glue from the bottle on to my model work also frequently produced more glue than I wanted.



Quite some time ago I decided to use a toothpick or a 6 1/2 inch wood applicator to get the glue from the opened glue bottle and apply it to the model.  This works really well for me.  I also use a small square of glass to hold a large dab of glue, then use the toothpick to pick up the amount of glue I want to apply to the model.   This may not be new to you but for what it is worth .....

No comments: