Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Friday, November 20, 2015

Glue factory acid tank plus updates

The glue factory acid tank is a little dude - about 7 1/2 scale feet high (about one inch).  Acid was used in the glue preparation process to dissolve the hide or bone components to create the glue solution.  The tank was built using a short piece of wood dowel with a strip of card stock glued around the base to give the the off-set with a wider base than the top.  I then glued strips of wood around the dowel giving them a slight sanding at the top so the boards would remain parallel.



I added small pieces of wood to support the metal support cables (thread) and keep them away from the tank containing the acid as did the prototype.  Unlike the prototype photo I used as my guide,  I made a flat wood top with a tank access hatch in the center.  The ladder was built from wood strips.  This tank will be located outside and in front of the boiler house.




Above is a photo of a prototype wood acid tank vintage 1944.  It actually shows two tanks but my facility is small so I only need one tank.

This completes my glue factory.  I will finish with some additional signs and scenery.

Update information

Below are some additional prototype acid tank photos.



Above are some acid storage tanks  vintage 1937 made from Haveg, a phenol formaldehyde type resin reinforced by outside wooden strips.  These tanks are apparently 10 foot high and 10 feet in diameter.


The above photo shows two Mills-Packard tanks for the manufacture of sulphuric acid.  Here you can see even these large tanks use wood separators to keep the metal bands away from the sides of the tanks.  The exterior of these tanks are water cooled by a curtain of water from the top.

I am considering my next industry/model to build.  I am working with a few ideas.


No comments: