Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Trackside platform sheds start

The model I am building was inspired from an old photo in a relatively new book about York Pennsylvania.  The photo shows a market shed vintage 1880's which no longer exists.  The market shed was not trackside, but my model will be trackside.  My platform has a small structure on each end of the platform similar to the "prototype" but the similarity stops there.


This model is still in the early stages of construction, and at this point the roof is sitting loosely on the  two structures.  The left structure is a storage shed and the right structure is an ice cream and refreshment stand (the market shed had that also).  There will be a raised loading platform in the center area for loading items onto railroad cars.  Not sure at this point what else will be there.  The structures are made from wood and the roof from card stock.  Models at this stage in construction often look crude but at least you can get some idea of what I am doing.


Above is a view of the back of the model which will face away from the edge of the layout.  As you can see the ice cream stand extends away from the platform.

As is often the case, I am building this using only a sketch so I have only a vague idea of what the finished model will look like.  I am planning to have lots of signs and several figures.   This is a really small model so it is a relatively quick project.

Those of you who are members of the NMRA may have noticed that the April photo on the NMRA calendar was from my layout.  I was pleased they selected my photo.  I have also been doing articles for the NMRA Magazine.  The first a few months ago was on the gas station you saw on  the blog last year.  The next article will be on an abandoned shed on my layout.  That was also on the blog some time ago.  The articles have additional information beyond what I published on my blog.  The third article I wrote was on the N scale structure I built.  That article will probably not be published until fall of this year.  After it is published, I will put something about it on the blog.  Since I am a life member of the NMRA and no longer pay them anything I thought I would contribute.



No comments: