Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Electric platform truck model

I have built a battery operated  electric platform truck with a crane for my building supply company.  It is used to move supplies around the facility and to load and unload trucks.  Units of this type were common in the 1920's and 1930's for moving all sorts of goods.  Some trucks ere specially fitted to haul bulk items.


Above is a Crescent Crane truck which is what I based my model on.  It could carry a payload of up to 4000 lbs and lift up to 1500 lbs.  It could also tow a trailer.  The battery was located under the platform.


Above is a Elwell-Parker platform truck. This one had a smaller battery located on the platform ahead of the operator.

Below are several photos of my model.


This model is made from a hodgepodge of commercial parts and wood scraps.


The boom on the crane "supposedly" moves up and down and swivels slightly from side to side.

Next I will start on the last building which will be a somewhat smaller structure located to the right of the lumber shed and it will have an open shed attached.  After that I will place all of the components on the layout and add lots of building supply details.

Meanwhile, for all of you who celebrate it -

Have a Merry Christmas!




No comments: