Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Music store start

My next model will be a music store that sells records and musical instruments.  After an extended period of research and design thoughts (I did not even do a sketch on this),  I have built the front of the store.  There are more details to be added.  Due to the large front window I will be adding some interior detail.


In 1939 (my modeling era) the records were 78 RPM, and some of the early records were recorded only on one side.  I have some of these.  About 35 yers ago I bought a juke box that plays 78 RPM records.  It plays only one side.  To play the other side I need to take the record out and turn it over.


Above is a photo of my juke box.  It was built about 1939 or possibly earlier.  I takes a while to warm up before it plays because it operates on vacuum tubes.  Vacuum tubes can  still be purchased.  The songs on the records I have inside are very old and interesting.  I have to operate it at least once a month to keep it operating well.  I may try to scratch build a juke box for my model.


No comments: