Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Saturday, October 5, 2019

Telegraph office model

This telegraph office model is small and typical of such offices in the 1930s/1940s.  It has clapboard siding and a large raised sign on the front.  I installed some minor  interior detail thinking the large windows would make them visible - NOT!   The telegraph was invented in the 1800s and in the US the major early use was for the railroads.


I installed a telegraph pole at the side of the building with a wire down to the roof.  The telegraph pole is a metal metal part by Magnuson Models - no modifications just paint,  The connection on the roof is a board with a metal electrical detail part inserted and there is a fine wire strip between the pole and the roof.


A view of the other side.


And a view of the back.

A little personal history.  My father served in the Navy during WW II in the pacific fleet.  After the war he was finally transferred home.  My mother and I lived in the Pittsburgh PA area at the time and my father sent a telegram informing us of about when he would arrive home.  This telegram is in my family history collection.


The telegraph service ceased years ago.



1 comment:

hoN3_rr said...

Great work as always. Been following your blog for sometime, a couple of years I believe. Can you post information as to how you did the power pole and connection along with the materials used? Thanks in advance.