Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Box factory update 4 - finished interior

The box factory interior is now finished - I think.  All of the machinery, belting, workbenches, etc are installed and it has been populated with a variety of figures.  The most tedious part was installing the machinery belts.  I used carbon copy paper (remember when the means of creating documents was to use the typewriter, and if copies were desired you added black carbon paper and thin carbon copy paper - ah those were the days - yeh!).  The carbon copy paper is thin, white and fairly strong - perfect for thin machinery belts.  I stained the belts a light tan color.  Then with the machine glued to the floor I threaded the belt between the pulley on the machine and the pulley on the line shaft, while at the same time reaching through the rafters that had been installed to hold the line shafts.  Lots of fun.  The rest of the detail installations were fairly easy.


Above is a front view.  It looks busy as a shop should look.  In addition to the six machines there are two workbenches, two box assembly tables, shelving, several barrels - one open with scrap wood sticking out, several pieces of lumber on the floor and leaning against the walls, a toolbox, a handcart and seven figures.


Above is an elevated view of the shop area.  I find doing interior detailing to be fun, but this is probably the first structure in which I put interior detailing that will be relatively easy to see since it will be at the edge of the layout with the aisle facing wall removable.   I am thinking of adding lights hanging from the beams to make it even easier to see inside.

My next task will be the loading dock on the trackside away from this view, then the roofs.  I could have built a whole building in the time it took me to do the interior detailing on this.


No comments: