Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Machinery repair company hoist

The hoist is completed and installed.  It was more work than it might appear.  The hoist is supported on one end by the office roof and on the other end by ground supports.  A small dolly runs along the top of the hoist and the hoist hook hangs from that.


Just below the hoist in the above photo is a vehicle maintenance ramp.   Below is a close-up view of the hoist.

In response to a request, here are some more details on how I made the hoist.  It is mostly wood strips.  The "rails" on top of the hoist for the dolly are pieces of wire.  I used fine thread for the "cables" on the dolly and fine wire for the cables supporting the hook.  I usually use wire for that type of thing as thread never seems to hang properly since the hook is very light.  The hook is a metal casting  (do not recall the manufacturer).  The wheels on the dolly are small cardstock discs made using a punch with a variable size wheel.  There is no specific prototype but it is typical of hoists of that era.  I did a clinic at a recent MER convention on hoisting machinery so I have done research in this area.  The pulleys are a mix of cardstock disks and cast metal parts - whatever works.  Hope that helps.


There is at this point no detail or weathering on the yard ground.  That will be added after the major details are in place.   Since this model is built mostly of scale wood and cardstock it weighs very little.  It has also cost me nothing (new) since all materials and details are from my stock of supplies.  Over many years I accumulated a LOT of parts and building materials which now comes in handy for my scratch building.  I also have more than 100 unused figures even though there are easily 100 figures on the layout.  With all of these supplies, my main task for each project is deciding what to build.  I also have accumulated an extensive inventory of modeling tools though I mostly use a small group of preferred tools.  Every now and then I have an unusual need for an odd tool such as my crocodile action ear polypus.  Micro mark is a good source for unique tools.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you tell us more about this? I'd like to find out more details.


My webpage http://www.incaradvancements.co.uk