Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Monday, December 8, 2014

Ice making machinery

My next model will be an ice making machinery company.  Ice was an important product in the 1800's and early 1900's.  I remember as a small boy in the early 1940's seeing a horse drawn ice wagon on the street where I lived.  My friends and I would flock around the wagon in the summer to get a chip of ice to suck on.  There were still people then who had ice boxes instead of refrigerators.  My grandmothers cottage on Lake Ontario had an ice box and I would row our rented rowboat to the nearby ice house to get ice for the icebox.


Above is a side feed incline ice elevator.  The ice was drawn from a lake or pond and conveyed up the incline to be stored in the ice warehouse.  My model company will be making the machinery for this type of industry.


Above shows a portable electric ice elevator for raising and lowering manufactured ice blocks in the storage room.


Above shows a crushed ice elevator and a truck for transporting the crushed ice to customers.


The photo above shows the loading end of a refrigerated car loader.

 

Above are a crushed ice cart and a gasoline powered field ice saw.

These are photos of typical ice handling machinery made my my model company.  Because they make a wide variety of machinery the structure is a little larger than most of what I have been building.  It is also located against a wall in a corner.


No comments: