Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Scrap yard model office

I have built the scrap yard office, but will probably detail and weather it further after it is on the layout.  The walls are corrugated metal and the rest is wood strips.  The window and door are scratch built.  The chimney is a wood dowel.  I put a small work bench in the shed area - the top is a commercial part and I added wood legs.


This is a simple structure.



What has taken so much of my time is that I am building a Vintage Vehicles Erie B-2 steam shovel kit which will be modified to have a grab bucket instead of the shovel.  Vintage Vehicles apparently stopped production of their models about 1994, but sold the steam shovel kit to Jordan (which I have heard is now out of business).  There are a lot of parts to this plastic kit and I found out the hard way that my Plastruct liquid glue does not hold well on it so I changed to other glues.  This shovel will be placed in the scrap yard to move scrap around.



I have also started on a corrugated metal fence using an old Alloy Forms kit.  Parts (front and back) are above - painted and weathered.  The kit walls are made of cast metal.  I am not sure there are enough wall parts to surround the scrap yard so I will have to come up with something else to fill in.

Below is a photo of some wood strips I picked up at Walmart (they have a craft aisle).  They are called "skinny sticks" and are about 6 inches long and 1/4" x 3/16" with 75 pieces in the pack - cost less than a dollar as I recall.  They are great for bracing the inside of structures.  All sticks are straight unlike the craft sticks (I refer to them as popsicle sticks) many of which are warped.


More later.  Happy fathers day to you fathers out there.  My kids will be here tomorrow so I am looking forward to that.






No comments: