Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Scrap yard trackside crane

This crane is for loading scrap into gondola cars for transport to the steel mill.  The crane is an Alexander Scale Models kit.  I eliminated the round cement style base and instead constructed a larger stone platform from hydrocal rock wall casting scraps with a hydocal sidewalk casting for the top.


I added a figure holding the hook and constructed a wood style scrap box for loading the scrap into the gondolas.


Above is a rear view of the side of the crane that will be inside of the scrap yard fence.


Above is the prototype for my scrap box.  This was a product of the Jacob Shannon company in the early 1900's.  They also manufactured a metal version.  The lever on the left side was pulled to disconnect the attached chain to dump the box.





No comments: