Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Hoist & derrick company progress

Two of the three sections of the hoist and derrick company are now basically complete.  The third section will connect to the small section on the right and will be parallel to the first large section.


There is a figure standing inside the open upper door where the hoist is and another figure sitting on the upper platform to the right.  That upper platform exists to use for testing hoists.  I am thinking about how I might install some fixture for that purpose.  The area where the small cart is sitting will be used to store wood for making the hoists and derricks.  This configuration will form a backwards "C" footprint.

I still have some trim  work to do on these sections.  I suspect some of the detail may be hard to see once this is completed and installed on the layout.

The paint on the sides of this building is quite worn and weathered as it is an old building that has not seen much maintenance.  I placed a floor inside the open door and there is a somewhat crude hoist mechanism as well as some boxes - all hard to see.  Maybe more invisible detail.    :-)

The weather outside is now turning warmer, a welcome change from the cold winter but that will bring the tasks of mowing and weeding the lawn.  At least it will again allow us to have meals outside on our deck, and maybe an occasional wine and cheese snack - after all life cannot be all work.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Stan,
Beautiful and inspirational work!
Question: did you scratch-build the hoist mechanism or purchase it? I usually just have the beam and no hoist, since I haven't been able to find a suitable detail part.

Keep up the great work!