Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Another car to truck conversion

Over the years I accumulated lots of vehicle kits, most of which I have assembled but I still have a fair amount left to build.  I have lots of automobiles on my layout so what I need now are more trucks.  This plastic auto kit was a simple, not too detailed Ford coupe kit by Williams Brothers.  I merely sawed off the back section with a fine model saw and replaced that section with a pickup truck type bed made from card stock.  


I weathered the truck heavily as it is used for dirty work and added some details in the back (boards, a wagon wheel and a wood barrel).



The boards are small pieces from my scrap box I use to provide layout scenery.  The box is about 3" x 4" and is filled will very small wood pieces left over from modeling jobs.  In addition to using them for scrap piles on the layout, I find them useful for jobs like this.



The kit looked like the photo below before modification.


I am still working on laying the track and switches for the sidings to the paper box factory and the glue factory.  While that does not sound like much work, the switches are switch kits and use individual wood ties.  These days I find track work to be tedious so I find lots of ways to defer working on it including projects such as this truck.

No comments: