Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Well flat car

I have a Funaro & Camerlengo PRR Well Hole Flat car kit I bought some years ago.  I have not yet built this but it should should be easy as it has a one piece body.  I came across some old photos of similar cars which got me interested in finally building the kit.


The photo below shows a perhaps 1930s era version of a well flat lettered for the P&R.  What I find interesting is the railing around the well, presumably for the safety of the railroad workers.  I will modify my kit to include such a railing.


I am not sure how common that railing was on well cars.


The above photo shows a well car being used to transport a 48 foot length of 14 inch pipe formed into an expansion bend.  The wood support framing includes a wood version of a well railing.  I am guessing they were not transporting it anywhere where it had to go though a tunnel or under a low bridge.  An interesting model of this could be made with a lower pipe bend.  

No comments: