Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Railroad auto car 1920s

This is a far cry from what we see today, or mostly don't see as the auto cars today are mostly sealed off to prevent the vandals from damaging them.  This photo appears to be from the 1920s judging from the automobiles.


There are two automobiles on each flat car - not very efficient but they probably did not ship that many automobiles by rail in those days.  This may be somewhere in New York as there is a New York Central reefer in the background.

I am in the process of building the glue factory drying house at the moment.  Should be finished by the end of the week.  I am also trying to recover from a cold that is hanging on and making my life miserable.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As to "not shipping many automobiles in those days" I wouldn't be so sure. Think about what alternatives there were. There were few intercity roads.
The railroads had huge fleets of automobile boxcars and cities and towns had many auto docks. I have seen many, many examples of each.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA