Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Flat car loads 1919

Here is another diversion from my structure build.  It is four vintage photos of 1919 flat car loads.  The original photos were small so the results are a little grainy.  The first one shows a vacuum shelf dryer on a flat car.


It is only a partial view but you can estimate the load size from the man standing in front of it.  These dryers were used for a wide variety of products including rubber compounds, paints, dyes, vegetables fruits, etc.



The above car is carrying revolving screens used in various industrial plants.


And here are two cars loaded with cast iron pipe.  I found the bracing method to be interesting.


And lastly a car loaded with caustic soda pots.  Again the bracing method is interesting.  I wonder if they took any precautions to prevent them from filling with rain?

I have maybe hundreds of old railroad and industrial photos to draw from in my old industry books.  Hope you like them.

Building #3 of the platform scale company is progressing slowly.  I keep changing the design as I go (as usual).

No comments: