Welcome

This blog presents my thoughts, information and activities in my model railroading world.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Gas station model planning

My next model will be a small town gas station which will go on my layout extension, probably between the blacksmith shop and the diner.  In the 1930's (my era) these small gas stations / service stations were built in a wide variety of designs or even no design but rather just part of an existing business such as a grocery store or hardware store.  One near where I live is known as the Red Door Store.


As you can see the gas station function is merely an add-on.


Above is an old photo of another add-on gas station function along the main street of a small town.


Years ago gas stations were usually known as service stations because they provided service such as pouring your gas, cleaning your windshield, and checking your oil.


There are a very small number of gas stations that still provide such service but they are rare.  Of course there were downsides in those good old days such as much less reliable cars, often related to those awful carburetors.  Gas was much less expensive in those days but incomes were also much smaller.  I recall in my early days of driving spending only 25 cents per gallon for gas in one locality, though I think they had some sort of gas war going on.

My model will be a stand-alone gas station with a wood ramp on the side for simple repairs.

I do have a larger gas station  on my main layout - again in a small town.


This was a kit by a small kit manufacturer - Ed Fulasz, almost all using hydrocal walls and components.  A nice kit but I am not a fan of that medium.


No comments: